Do you know the right online shopping survey questions to include? If not, then here’s an example showing the right survey questions to ask to improve retail customer experience.
Emma wants to buy a microwave as she’s recently moved to a new place. While using her smartphone, she browsed Croma’s website, applying filters to find the perfect one.
She found two options she liked but couldn’t decide on, so she saved them to her wishlist.
To Emma’s surprise, Croma later emailed her with a personalized discount. Excited, she reviewed the details and added the item to her cart. Making a quick payment through UPI, she was thrilled when the product arrived on the same day.
This is how Croma delivered an exceptionally great experience.
But this wasn’t a coincidence; it was the result of leveraging technology and mapping their customers’ journeys.
They identified the moment when Emma was undecided and offered her a personalized discount to help her make a choice. And after the delivery of the product they sent a customer satisfaction survey asking about her experience with the delivery process of the product.
This is just one touchpoint where Croma interacts with its customers. There are many more touchpoints where Croma can engage with its customers.
Do you want to know all these touchpoints and how to keep customers engaged even after they shop from you?
If yes, then this blog is for you.
Here we’re unraveling the touchpoints on which you can ask online shopping survey questions (with examples) for retail customer experience feedback.
Online Shopping Survey Questions (with Examples) for Retail Feedback
You can send surveys through the retail customer feedback tool at different touchpoints of a customer journey to identify gaps and improve those touchpoints.
Here are 14 important touchpoints of a customer journey to gather retail feedback, along with the type of surveys, the objective of the survey, when to send it, and examples of the online shopping survey questions.
1. Website Feedback Survey
The first interaction a customer has in their shopping journey is with your WEBSITE.
So is your website updated with your customer’s needs and preferences?
Is it easy to navigate? Free of glitches?
If your answer is yes to the given questions, then launch website feedback surveys.
To gather quantitative and qualitative feedback.
But how will this help you?
Well, by gathering feedback you can determine the effectiveness of your website by asking customers about their overall experience, ease of navigation, whether the website meets their expectations, etc.
|Touchpoint||Landing page, or website entry|
|Type of Survey||First Impressions Survey|
|When to Send||Immediately or after the customer’s first interaction|
Some of the examples of CSAT and CES survey questions for your website survey:
- How would you rate your overall experience on our website?
- On a scale of 1-5, how was your experience with our website navigation?
- Did you find the information that you’re looking for?
- Did you encounter any technical issues while using our website?
- How likely are you to recommend our website based on its ease of use?
2. Product Listing or Category Pages Feedback Survey
After your customer has had their first interaction with your brand website, the next step – explore your products to make a purchase.
So, design your category pages clearly, including filtering, and sorting options, navigation bars, product listing, etc. to enhance your customer’s shopping journey.
Gather customer feedback on their interactions with your products to understand the friction and improve your product listing or category pages to meet their needs and expectations.
|Touchpoint||Product listing or category pages|
|Type of Survey||Product Discovery Survey|
|When to Send||After the customer has spent some time browsing the product listing or category pages.|
Some of the examples of CSAT and CES survey questions for your product discovery survey:
- How would you rate the experience of finding your desired products on our website?
- Did the filtering and sorting options refine your product search?
- Was the product variety on the listing page satisfactory?
- Were the product descriptions informative enough for making an informed decision?
- How much effort did you need to put into finding products that matched your preferences?
3. Product Satisfaction Feedback Survey
Let’s say you are browsing through the product listing of a website to buy a t-shirt. After a few minutes, you click on a few products to get a closer look and more details.
But here’s the catch: if you don’t find the necessary information about the product, like clear images, detailed features, a video demonstration, or even a product quality rating, you might just abandon your shopping journey then and there.
But if the brand makes sure to provide you with all the proper information you need about the product, it can make a world of difference. It will help you to make an informed decision and increase the chances of completing your purchase.
You can create online shopping survey questions to ask your customers about their interactions with your products to evaluate the gap between your product and their expectations.
|Touchpoint||Product detail pages|
|Type of Survey||Product Satisfaction Survey|
|When to Send||After the customers have viewed specific product detail pages.|
Some of the examples of CSAT and CES survey questions for your product satisfaction survey:
- How satisfied were you with the level of detail provided in the product descriptions?
- Did the product images and descriptions accurately represent the product you received?
- Was it difficult to locate the key information, such as pricing and availability, on the product detail page?
- How much effort did you have to put into extracting the necessary information from the product detail page?
- Did you encounter any difficulties while trying to understand the product details?
4. Checkout Process Feedback Survey
According to a report by the Baymard Institute on “Cart Abandonment Stats 2023”, it was found that the average cart abandonment rate is 69.9%, out of which 17% of the customers abandon because of a long and complicated checkout process.
This shows that a smooth and painless checkout process is an important part of the customer journey.
But how to ensure that?
Well, one effective way to tackle this issue is by gathering feedback from your customers regarding their experience with your checkout process. By doing so, you can gain valuable insights into the gaps that exist between your current checkout process and your customers’ expectations.
|Touchpoint||Add to cart or checkout process|
|Type of Survey||Checkout Experience Survey|
|When to Send||After the customer has added items to the cart or completed the checkout process.|
Some of the examples of CSAT and CES survey questions for your checkout process survey:
- How satisfied were you with the overall checkout process?
- Was it difficult to add items to your cart?
- Did you find the pricing information transparent during the checkout process?
- Were you provided with sufficient information regarding delivery during the checkout process?
- Did you encounter any difficulties with the checkout process?
5. Payment Page Feedback Survey
Baymard Institute’s report on “Cart Abandonment Stats 2023”, found that, out of 69.9% of people who abandon cart, 18% of them abandon their cart because they didn’t trust the site with their credit card information.
Your payment page is where your customers make their payments and share their personal financial information. This page needs to be safe, secure, and user-friendly for a safe and smooth payment process.
You can gather feedback from your customers on their experience with your payment process to identify and improve the gaps between your payment process and your customer’s expectations.
|Type of Survey||Payment Experience Survey|
|When to Send||After the customer has completed the payment process.|
Some of the examples of CSAT and CES survey questions for your payment experience survey:
- How satisfied were you with the available payment method options?
- Did you find the payment process to be secure?
- Did you encounter any challenges while entering your payment information?
- Were you provided with clear information regarding any additional charges related to the payment?
- How was your overall experience with the payment process?
6. Purchase Confirmation Feedback Survey
Let’s say you’re shopping online for deodorant. You visit a website, take your time browsing through different products, and finally make a decision on which one you want to purchase. Feeling satisfied with your choice, you add the deodorant to your cart and proceed to the checkout.
But then, something unexpected happens. After completing the payment process, you don’t receive any confirmation that your order has been successfully placed. No email, no text – nothing. Naturally, you are concerned. So you decide to reach out to customer care.
After a long wait, you got to know that your order was placed and will be delivered within 4-5 days. While it’s a relief to hear that, the whole experience has left you feeling a bit frustrated.
In situations like this, it becomes apparent how crucial it is for businesses to ensure smooth communication and provide timely updates to their customers. It’s important to address any potential gaps in the customer journey, such as the lack of order confirmation in this case, to avoid causing unnecessary stress and maintain customer satisfaction.
You can create online shopping survey questions to ask your customers about their experience with your purchase confirmation to identify and improve the gaps between your confirmation page and your customer’s expectations.
|Type of Survey||Purchase Confirmation Survey|
|When to Send||After the customer has completed the payment process.|
Some of the examples of CSAT and CES survey questions for your confirmation page experience survey:
- Did you receive a confirmation of your order after your payment was processed?
- Were there any difficulties with receiving confirmation on your order?
- How satisfied are you with the accuracy of the order details displayed on the confirmation page?
- Did you encounter any difficulties while trying to find the delivery information on the confirmation page?
- Did the confirmation page provide all the necessary information you needed regarding your purchase?
7. Post-Purchase Customer Feedback Survey
Taking a post-purchase feedback survey right after a customer buys your product is a non-intrusive way to understand how your customers feel about your brand/product and the overall experience of shopping with you.
This survey will help you in gaining insights on how to improve the buying experience for your customers. You can gather feedback from your customers on their experience with your brand/product to identify and improve the gaps between your brand/product and your customer’s expectations.
|Touchpoint||Post-purchase follow-up email|
|Type of Survey||Customer Feedback Survey|
|When to Send||After the customer has completed their purchase|
Some of the examples of CES survey questions for your post-purchase customer feedback survey:
- How was your overall shopping experience with us?
- How satisfied are you with your recent purchase from us?
- What did you love the most about the experience?
- Would you recommend our brand to others?
- What would you recommend us to improve in our shopping experience? (Open-ended)
8. Customer Support Feedback Survey
According to a report by Zendesk on “CX Trends 2022”, it was found that 81% of the customers say a positive customer service experience increases their likelihood of making another purchase.
A positive customer service experience is an important part of your customer shopping journey. Ensuring prompt and efficient customer service can create a positive impact on your customer satisfaction.
You can create online shopping survey questions to ask your customers about their experience with your customer support team to identify and improve the gaps between your customer service and your customer’s expectations.
|Touchpoint||Customer support interactions|
|Type of Survey||Customer Support Survey|
|When to Send||After the customer has interacted with customer support agents.|
Some of the examples of CSAT and CES survey questions for your customer support survey:
- How would you rate the response time of our customer support agents in addressing your inquiries or concerns?
- Did you find our support agents helpful in resolving your issues or answering your questions?
- Did you find our customer support agent to be polite and respectful?
- How knowledgeable was our customer support representative in addressing your concerns?
- Would you say that the customer support team made the process of resolving your issue simple and straightforward?
9. Product Review Feedback Survey
Once your customers have made a purchase from your brand, it’s important to find out
- How satisfied they are with the product?
- Did they encounter any difficulties along the way?
By actively asking online shopping survey questions from your customers, you demonstrate your commitment to providing them with the best possible experience. It’s a win-win situation: you gain valuable insights to refine your product, and your customers feel heard and valued.
|Touchpoint||Product review or rating submission|
|Type of Survey||Product Review Survey|
|When to Send||After the customer has submitted a product review or rating.|
Some of the examples of CSAT and NPS survey questions for your product review survey:
- Did our product meet your expectations?
- Did our product fulfill the need you had?
- How satisfied are you with the overall value for money our product provides?
- How likely are you to continue using our product in the long term?
- Based on your recent shopping experience, would you shop from our brand again?
10. Loyalty Program Feedback Survey
Brands like Sephora and Starbucks have successfully implemented loyalty programs to reward their dedicated customers.
These programs are specifically designed to express gratitude for customer loyalty by providing a range of benefits. These include exclusive discounts, early access to new products, free shipping, and exclusive perks reserved for members.
Also, you can gather feedback from your customers about their experiences with your loyalty programs to identify any gaps that may exist between your loyalty program and your customers’ expectations.
|Touchpoint||Loyalty program sign-up|
|Type of Survey||Loyalty Program Survey|
|When to Send||After the customer has signed up for the loyalty program.|
Some of the examples of survey questions for your loyalty program survey:
- Did our loyalty program meet your expectations?
- What factors motivated you to join our loyalty program?
- What specific benefits are you looking forward to receiving as part of our loyalty program?
- How satisfied were you with the overall convenience of joining our loyalty program?
- Are there any additional perks you would like to see included in our loyalty program?
11. General Feedback Survey
Does completing a customer’s shopping journey mean the end of the relationship? No.
There is one more opportunity: the general customer feedback survey.
This survey aims to gather feedback on various aspects of the customer’s interaction with your brand/product, including product quality, customer service, website usability, delivery process, and overall satisfaction.
The collected feedback will help you to identify areas of improvement, measure customer loyalty, and make data-driven decisions to enhance the shopping experience. Ask both qualitative and quantitative questions to understand your customer’s experience and gather suggestions for improvement.
|Touchpoint||Customer feedback surveys or feedback forms|
|Type of Survey||General Feedback Survey|
|When to Send||After the customer has completed their shopping.|
Some of the examples of survey questions for your general feedback survey:
- How would you rate your overall experience with our company?
- How likely are you to recommend our company to others?
- Is there anything specific you liked about your experience with our company? (Open-ended)
- How would you rate the ease of navigating our purchasing process?
- Do you have any specific suggestions for us to improve our products or services?
12. Newsletter Subscription Feedback Survey
When a customer subscribes or signs up for your newsletter it is evident that they are interested in your content. For example, beauty brands like Sephora provide their members with newsletters. These newsletters contain beauty tips, beauty blogs, special offers, and discounts.
These newsletters are a great way to keep your customers engaged with your brand/product after they have completed their shopping with you.
You can create online shopping survey questions to ask your customers about newsletter subscriptions to identify and improve the gaps between your newsletter and your customer’s expectations.
|Touchpoint||Subscription or newsletter sign-up process|
|Type of Survey||Subscription Feedback Survey|
|When to Send||After the customer has completed the subscription or newsletter sign-up process.|
Some of the examples of survey questions for your subscription feedback survey:
- What motivated you to subscribe to our newsletters?
- How frequently would you prefer to receive newsletters from us?
- How would you rate the variety of offerings available through your subscription?
- What types of content would you be most interested in receiving through our newsletters?
- Did our subscription service meet your expectations?
13. Exit Feedback Survey
When a potential customer leaves without making a purchase, you lose out on revenue. This is called cart abandonment, and it happens for various reasons, such as a complicated checkout process or unexpected additional costs.
You can gather feedback from visitors who exited your website identify and improve the gaps between your website and your customer’s expectations.
|Touchpoint||Website exit or abandonment prompts|
|Type of Survey||Exit Feedback Survey|
|When to Send||After the customer has exited the website or abandoned the shopping process.|
Some of the examples of survey questions for exit feedback survey:
- What was the primary reason for abandoning the shopping process?
- Were there any specific obstacles that prevented you from completing your purchase?
- Did you encounter any technical difficulties while browsing our website?
- Were there any additional costs that you found off-putting?
- Is there anything specific we could have done differently to improve your experience on our website? (Open-ended)
14. Relationship Net Promoter Score (rNPS) Survey
Relationship NPS will help you in establishing a healthy relationship with your customers by helping you investigate areas of customer experience that need improvement.
You can gather feedback from your customers on their overall satisfaction with your brand/product to identify and improve your customer experience.
|Touchpoint||After building a relationship|
|Type of Survey||Net Promoter Score (NPS) Survey|
|When to Send||After the customer has exited the website or abandoned the shopping process.|
Some of the relationship NPS survey questions:
- Were you satisfied with the overall shopping experience?
- How would you describe your overall experience with our brand/product?
- How likely are you to explore other products offered by our brand?
- On a scale of 1-5, how likely are you to recommend our brand to a friend or colleague?
- Are there any areas where you feel our brand could improve?
70+ Online Shopping Survey Questions for Retail Feedback
First Impressions Survey
Product Discovery Survey
Product Satisfaction Survey
Checkout Experience Survey
Payment Experience Survey
Purchase Confirmation Survey
Post-Purchase Customer Survey
Customer Support Survey
Product Review Survey
Loyalty Program Survey
General Feedback Survey
Subscription Feedback Survey
Exit Feedback Survey
Net Promoter Score (NPS) Survey
Now you know how having a comprehensive understanding of your customer’s journey can help you to enhance your online shopping experience.
So, use every touchpoint of your customer to collect their feedback in order to improve their experience.
You can send any type of survey be it CSAT, CES, or NPS based on the relevant customer touchpoints to gather valuable insights into customer experiences. By using these surveys strategically, you can identify areas for improvement, close the loop, and drive overall success.
To create any of these surveys, explore SurveySensum. This retail customer feedback tool can help you to create actionable retail feedback surveys in no time.